Your Home Linux gives old PCs a new lease on life by replacing their bloated commercial operating system (OS) with Linux
For several years, we've been using Linux at home and at work. In this short time, Linux has evolved from a niche OS favored by DIYers and computer science geeks into an easy-to-use, virus-free, speedy platform. The OS is improving at breakneck speed, and gaining fans worldwide.
For home users, that means:
- Finally, a useful purpose for those desktops and laptops gathering dust in a closet
- A fast-booting computer to put in unexpected places (kitchen, garage or shed)
- A perfect system for kids (plus, loads of free games and educational applications)
- A highly configurable PC for people with special needs
- A home media server
- A home "cloud" server
Best of all, do all this using a PC you already own.
Our primary interest in Linux has always been this: It's great for giving PCs with modest specifications a new lease on life, thereby keeping them out of the trash.
- Load your old, "useless" PC with an appropriate flavor of desktop or server Linux
- Create an always-on home "cloud" for your music, video and data
- Teach you how to add free software from the secure, virus-free Linux repositories
- Teach you how to update your system to the latest version of Linux
- Consultation and demonstration (about 1 hour)
- Installation (about 1 hour)
- 2 months of free support
Still want to view and edit your old documents, spreadsheets, and media files? We'll install all the programs you need. And we won't give you any bloatware or adware.
- Hint: They're less than you'd pay for a dinner for two. Contact us for our prices.
Additional services, including hardware recommendations, networking support, additional tools and education available at a negotiated hourly rate.
1. Phone consultation. Tell us about your old PC, and how you'd like to put it to use -- surf the web, office applications, a house server, an easy-to-use system for young children.
2. Installation of the needed version of Linux and the programs you need. We can do this at your home, or on equipment you leave with us. First, we'll backup your system, safeguarding all your stored data.
3. Demonstration and basic training.
4. Access to assistance for 2 months (a service that can be extended).